Pages

Saturday, February 10, 2007

CGM Revelation

So I learned something today that has me pretty jazzed. I was volunteering at my daughter’s elementary school power washing portable buildings before a big painting overhaul. I had to run home for something and I glanced at the CGM because I felt a little like I was getting low. It read 167 with a south east arrow. I had an instinct grab a juice box for the road. Sure enough, thirty minutes later I got a projected low alarm.

The SE arrow was an indicator, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I will go below 60; I may head to 85 and stabilize. But I am beginning to recognize the “feelings” I have and draw a direct correlation with what happens to my blood sugars over the next hour. The CGM is validation of what my body is already telling me very subtly.

So, with information comes trust; trust in my intuition. If I wasn’t wearing the Navigator, I wouldn’t know exactly what was going on and these very slight changes would be easy to ignore. I would have never grabbed that juice and would have found myself surprised and low. The thing that is killing me is how carefully my body tells me what is going on, but when I didn’t have the constant flow information with the CGM, I couldn’t process the very slight changes I felt as a sign of things to come. I am accidentally training myself to recognize how my body reacts .

This is by far the coolest revelation I'
ve had using this device and I will have a much better understanding of my body even when I have to give the Navigator back. I pray they extend the study another three months. I would really love to see how much my A1C changes now that I am learning so much. This stuff takes time. I wonder if this side benefit as been documented by other patients. I’ll ask at my next check in.


Photo by Leslie LeCornu © 2006

9 comments:

Chrissie in Belgium said...

That is cool that the CGM is helping you learn to listen to what your body has been whispering to you all along! I do not have a CGM, but I have had D for 45 years and I have really learned to listen to what my body is whispering. It is just so hard to hear it sometimes.

Drea said...

I have found the same usefulness with my CGM. When I frist started using it was was correcting for every up arrow...resulting in quite the turmoil for the first while, until I was used to the system and used it to my benefit! My first A1c after 3 months of CGM was DOWN and I was so excited, I hope you experience the same!! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
In your dealings with Abbott, have they mentioned at all about partnering up with a pump in order to rollout an integrate pump/cgm like Minimed? I know it is the Freestyle Navigator, but I didn't know if it would have any tie to the Cosmo or Omnipod pump since both of those are Freestyle as well. We are trying to make a pump decision pretty soon and want to get one that will be partnered with the Navigator in the future. We are on DexCom now and can afford to switch to the Navigator when it is available, but the pump switch might not be so easy given the expense of it.

Thanks!

Wendy Morgan said...

I haven't heard anything about Abbott Diabetes connecting with a pump company.

I have to say, that is one of the biggest draw backs to this thing; having two units to carry around.

I love my Mimimed pump and have also considered an Animas pump, which is now owned by Johnson & Johnson, as they have been working on a CGM/pump combo that they claim will be more accurate than Minimed's is currently. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Noel said...

I am using the MM Paradigm CGMS with my 722 pump and like you, I cannot stop looking at this thing every friggin 5 minutes! As far as accuracy, I find it spot on accurate with my meters 95% of the time. I am looking foward to the Navigator too. Luckily insurance companies are starting to come on board for CGMS systems. BCBS of GA picked up mine and the supplies luckily.

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog through some forum posts, great stuff!

I had not heard of this CGM device before but wow, this seems pretty cool. From all your posts it seems to really be a good fit for you huh?

After the trial, are you going to be getting one and how much do they cost?

I'll try to follow up on this comment, but just in case you can email me at marston [at] sugarstats [dot] com

Great site BTW!

Wendy Morgan said...

To address Marston and Noel's comments, I am sure the Navigator will run the same price as all the rest, but I don't know for sure.

I love the Navigator, but I don't think I want two units to carry around. I want the Minimed, but I also want the sensor units to be MUCH smaller. They really get in the way sometimes, even with the relatively small size of the Navigator.

I'm curious about your experience Noel. I love my MM pump, and the idea of the CGM working with it is pretty amazing to me. Please share more!

Anonymous said...

I've been a Dexcom user since it came out and would love to hear about your experience using the Navigator. I am specifically interested in its accuracy, length of use, and cost (but it sounds like you're doing a clinical trial). If you could also comment on what it feels like on you.

Wendy Morgan said...

Hello,

I pretty much cover everything you asked inthe rest of my posts. I loved the Navigator, but it isn't available yet. I didn't really notice it much wearing it, but it felt most comfortable with an adhesive overbandage.

Accuracy was excellent, the sensors last 5 days (can't trick the system for longer wear) and it uses watch, like batteries inthe sensor and AAA int he receiver, so easy to change and easy batteries to find.

Don't know how long the thing will last, I only wore three months and it won't be available until Dec 2007.