Pages

Friday, January 12, 2007

CGM: Inserting a Sensor (Photos)

I have finally downloaded the photos of inserting the sensor. I have decided that I definitely prefer having the sensor on the back of my arms vs. my tummy.

First step is to clean the site with alcohol, then use IV Prep to prepare the skin for the adhesive. The next step is to place the sensor inserter against the skin. You peel the adhesive off, before you do this, so it helps keep the inserter in place.
© 2007 Photos by Wendy L. Morgan











Next, you twist and then pull out the yellow safety.















Next you push the big grey button on top with your whole finger, evenly across the top and that releases the sensor into your arm to a depth of about 5 or 6 mm.













Now, you squeeze the blue buttons at the base of the inserter on both sides and gently lift the inserter away from the sensor.













Next you have to check for blood and use a gauze to dab it up. I rarely see this much blood and it does not hurt anymore than an infusion set, actually less.












Now you slide the transmitter into the sensor unit and the sensor base.





You have to really squeeze to get it locked into place. I have started using an overbandage (Tegaderm) every time I put it on, so I have no problems with the adhesive coming loose before the five days are up. Seems to be working fine.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,
Welcome to the blogosphere! Thanks for your comment on my site, and thanks for sharing your CGM experiences.

I have all but given up on the Dexcom, although using it for 5 months straight did give me many insights. My A1c is now finally down below 7.

All the best,
AmyT

nicole said...

Thank you again for more pics :D I have been checking in waiting for you to post again. Glad you had a nice trip!

Kassie said...

Thanks for the photos!

Is the insterter spring loaded? or do you manually push it in?

Thanks!

Wendy Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy Morgan said...

Great question! Spring loaded and does so quite smoothly. This last time I did it it hurt a little more than an infusion set on a bad day, but overall it goes in nicely without much discomfort.

I don't care for the units being one-time use; that is a hunk of plastic to throw away each time.