Pages

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Personal Renewal Group for Mothers Living with Diabetes

As mentioned in my profile, I am working on a national initiative to help women reconnect with who they areand experience greater balance in their lives. Last year I joined a “Personal Renewal Group” for moms, led by a career strategist and work/life balance coach, Renee Peterson Trudeau (http://www.reneetrudeau.com/). Our small group of mothers (about 15) meets once a month because we all want some kind of change in our lives – less anxiety or perfectionism, deeper connections with family and friends, more satisfying relationships. Working together, we are changing our lives for our own good (and that of our families).

At the urging of PRG moms, Renee has written “The Mother’s Guide to Self-Renewal: How to Reclaim, Rejuvenate and Re-Balance Your Life,” launching in May 2007 (with limited advance copies available on her website). The book is designed as a year-long journal that supports women as they explore their values and attitudes toward parenting, work, relationships and life-long goals.

This spring Renee will train women to start and lead their own groups for mothers in their communities. I have been working with Renee promoting the book and will be trained as a PRG facilitator. I will host PRG groups within my circle of friends, but am also planning to offer PRG's supporting mothers of children with diabetes and also mothers who have type one diabetes in Austin.

PRG has helped me prioritize what is most important and has restored my family’s balance as much as my own--my life has changed so much for the better. Diabetes is an all-encompassing disease that weaves its way into our entire family's life. Mothers usually put their kids first, but caring for children with diabetes is especially draining and it becomes very hard to fill your cup first. Mothers who have diabetes are busy being mothers--diabetes self-care often takes a third or fourth seat at the table. PRG and The Mother's Guide gives stressed and harried mothers permission to care for themselves, reconnect with who they are and create balance from the "inside out."

If this speaks to you and are interested in learning more, please e-mail me at PRG at WendyLMorgan.com.






1 comment:

Kassie said...

this is very intriguing! Wish I lived in the area. I look forward to reading more about how things progress.