Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

So, What Have You Done for YOU Lately?

It is a rainy day in Austin and everything is SO green. I love the rain, especially this time of year. It is days like this that make me all introspective, and I have a question for you.

When was the last time you did something nice for yourself?

We are all fabulous people and live with interesting and sometimes difficult circumstances, so do you ever take time to yourself—treat yourself to something special, just because you need it?


I have this beautiful Permission Granted box gifted to me by two friends that is filled with little bits of wisdom and invitations to do something nice for you. They say things like:


  • Develop a collection of your own art supplies—and don’t let the kids use them
  • Allow yourself to say NO!
  • Visit a Farmer’s Market and treat yourself to your favorite fruit. Eat it on the front porch as soon as you get home
  • Eat a dollop of cookie dough without feeling guilty (my FAV)
  • Paint your toenails a vibrant color

This week, I stopped at my favorite Mediterranean grocery and bought a huge tub of tabouli, freshly made hummus and warm pita bread--right out of the oven. I LOVE tabouli, so I got in my car and made myself a huge pita filled with these amazing flavors. It was a mess! The explosion of lemon, parsley, onion and tomato is so intoxicating; It was a real treat for me.

"Self-care is not about self-indulgence, it is about self- preservation." ~ Audre Lord

Tell me, what have you done for you lately?

2 comments:

Kayce said...

Thanks for that post! It is so important to do stuff just for us. I've just recently stumbled across your site, and I'm happy I did!

I set up a crafty area in the house, JUST FOR ME!!! But alas, I've yet to sit down and be crafty there! Someday.

Chrissie in Belgium said...

Hmm - definitely good point! Well last Monday I just sat out in the sun and sucked it up, read a book. I love the sun after a long rainy gray winter. Yes, for me, this was SO beneficial. And now I am looking out at a blue sky with a Japanese Cherry tree in pink bloom and another tree covered in white flowers and yellow forsythia and I am thinking I will do some more sun sucking and reading - currently the Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich. VERY NICE and just for me!